These delicious crunchy Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect fiber and protein-packed snack that are slow carb to provide you with sustained energy. The tropical flavors are refreshing and will keep you coming back for more! These roasted chickpeas are fantastic as a snack or as a tasty topping for salads.
#Snack attack? Make these delicious Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas! @80twentyrule #vegan #gf Click To Tweet
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas and Cancer Prevention
- Legumes such as chickpeas are recommended as part of a healthy diet for preventing cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Aim for 3 cups or more of legumes each week to get these health benefits.
- Most of the fiber in chickpeas is in the form of insoluble fiber, which passes undigested into the colon where it is fermented. Fermentation produces short chain fatty acids that provide fuel to healthy colon cells, reducing your risk of colorectal cancer.
- One cup of chickpeas contains 160% of the molybdenum you need each day. Molybdenum is a mineral that your body needs in trace amounts. It helps to break down proteins into energy. It also helps the body break down sulfites, a common preservative found in processed foods. Molybdenum also helps the kidneys filter waste products in the blood.
- Chickpeas are also an excellent source of manganese, an antioxidant mineral needed by the mitochondria, the energy production centres of the body’s cells.
- Chickpeas are rich in vitamin B6, a nutrient that helps protect DNA against mutations, which may increase cancer risk. In one study, both smokers and non-smokers with high levels of vitamin B6 reduced their risk of lung cancer by 50%, compared to those with low levels of vitamin B6.
Chickpeas and Heart Health
The fiber in chickpeas helps lower cholesterol levels. Plus, the fiber keeps you full for fewer calories, helping to promote a healthy weight. Yes, these little guys are fantastic for losing weight and keeping it off… and carrying extra weight around your belly is linked to a higher risk of heart disease.
Coconut Lime Roasted Chickpeas – Vegan and Gluten-Free!
Healthy snacking is possible! Here’s how to make your new favorite tropical-tasting treat that will help you stay satisfied during any snack attack.
This recipe has been added to your Meal Plan
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz can)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse you chickpeas well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, melt the coconut oil and add the lime zest, 1 tbsp of lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix and then add the chickpeas, stirring to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with a bit of olive oil to avoid sticking. Spread the chickpeas out on the baking sheet so they aren't touching.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and crunchy. Check them every 5 min or so and shake the tray so they don't burn.
Leave a Reply