Summer makes me want to nibble on light foods that don’t require turning on the stove. These Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites are the result of a recent trip to the farmer’s market where I picked up some smoked salmon from up north, sheep yogurt, and beautiful organic cucumber. All these bites needed was salmon’s best friend: a sprig of dill, and it was love with each bite!
Serving Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites on cucumber slices makes these babies low carb and gluten-free which makes them great to serve or bring to a party. Oh, and did I mention they’re super quick and easy to make?
You can speed things up by using a mandolin to slice your cucumber. That will also help make them look perfect 🙂 If you like, make these extra fancy by cutting the cucumber on a diagonal for a sophisticated angled look or if you have a slicer that makes cool shapes, even better!
Health Benefits of Salmon
- Oily fish such as salmon and trout are excellent sources of protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish lower the risk of abnormal heart beats called arrhythmias. These heart-healthy fats also prevent plaque buildup in the arteries and can help lower blood pressure. Omega-3s lower triglyceride levels, a type of fat in the blood linked to heart disease.
- A 3 ounce serving (about the size of your palm or a computer mouse) of salmon has 500 IU of vitamin D which is what most of us need in a day.
- For a healthy heart, choose at least 2 servings of fatty fish a week (1 serving is the size of a deck of cards). Fatty fish includes salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines, and Arctic Char. Check www.seachoice.org and www.oceanwise.ca for a list of sustainable fish that are lower in mercury and other pollutants.
Smoked Salmon Cucumber Bites - Low Carb and Gluten-Free!
- 1 cucumber large
- 4 ounces yogurt (plain, Greek or thicker yogurt such as Icelandic yogurt or Skyr will work best)
- 6 ounces smoked salmon sliced
- 1/2 cup dill
- Slice the cucumber into rounds or use a mandolin. Smear with some yogurt, top with a piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of dill. Enjoy!