Looking for a flour that’s rich in fibre and other nutrients and that can completely replace white flour in recipes? Barley flour is one of the few flours you can use to replace white flour and still get perfect baked goods every time. It’s amazing in cakes, breads and pancakes! Try this delicious vegan zucchini bread that’s packed with the goodness of barley, vegan and oil-free.
Health Benefits of Barley:
- Barley is rich in a type of fibre called beta-glucan. This fibre traps LDL cholesterol and removes it from the blood, which may help lower heart disease risk.
- Barley contains niacin, a B vitamin that is essential for heart health.
- Beta glucan acts as a prebiotic, which means it provides fuel for the good bacteria in the colon. This can, in turn, improve digestive health and strengthen the immune system. It may also help reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Barley is a good source of selenium, a nutrient shown to significantly reduce colon cancer risk.
Blood Sugar and Weight Control:
- The fibre in barley helps to slow the digestion of carbohydrates, leading to more stable blood sugar levels and helping you feel full for longer. Choosing fibre-rich foods can help you get to and keep a healthy body weight. It can also help prevent and control type 2 diabetes.
Want more recipes that feature the goodness of barley? Try my super easy and tasty Barley Risotto with Kale and Lemon.