One of my favorite takeout meals is the shawarma plate from a Middle Eastern restaurant down the street from us. I crave the combination of salty, savory and tart flavors. Typically I’ll get the rice and potatoes subbed out for more salad, but they don’t have a vegetarian option for when I want something plant-based. So what’s a food blogger/dietitian to do? Here is my vegan version of a Shawarma Salad Plate – and it’s gluten-free too!
Check out the recipe for my Vegan Shawarma Salad Plate below… or design your own with some of these fun options!
Shawarma Salad – Essential Ingredients
- Romaine lettuce
- Chickpeas or lentils
Shawarma Salad – Optional Ingredients
- Pickled turnip (trust me, it’s awesome)
- Dill pickles, sliced (if you can’t find the pickled turnip)
- Radishes (thinly sliced)
- Red onion (thinly sliced)
- Pita cut into triangles or pita chips, broken up into pieces (gluten-free)
- Hot peppers
Shawarma Salad Dressing Options
For a quick option, I’ll use a fresh ranch salad dressing on my shawarma salad. I also love this with my Lemon Tahini Salad Dressing. It’s absolutely perfect!
Vegan Shawarma Salad Plate – Gluten Free!
What’s your favorite salad recipe? I’d love to hear your ideas.
This Vegan Shawarma Salad Plate is a plant-based version of the popular sandwich deconstructed on a plate. The flavor combinations of salty, savory, tart and sweet will make this gluten-free salad a huge crowd-pleaser!
- 4 cups romaine lettuce cut into ribbons
- 4 cups chickpeas cooked (or if canned, rinsed well)
- 1/2 cucumber sliced into rounds
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley minced
- 3 radishes sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup Red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled turnip (or dill pickles)
- 1 cup pita chips gluten-free
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (or tahini dressing)
- Toss all of the ingredients together except for the dressing. Divide between 4 bowls and drizzle with the dressing. You can also lay your ingredients across a plate in rows and then drizzle with dressing.
Leave a Reply