Whether you’re looking for a healthy wholesome brunch or a quick and nutritious dinner, this Sweet Potato Egg Skillet with Spinach and Mushrooms is the answer! It’s vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free and packed with fibre from a colorful medley of vegetables.
What I love most about this recipe is that it reminds me of all the fun my mom would bring to the crazy upside-down concept of “breakfast for dinner”. I remember thinking how wild it was to have eggs and toast for dinner, like wearing socks and shoes on your hands. What a wacky idea and I could believe my mom was letting us “get away with” coloring outside the lines.
Talking to my mom about it years later, she told me breakfast for dinner was something she came up with when we didn’t have much money and she was too tired to cook. I marvelled at the way she took a difficult situation and made it magical and fun for my sister and me. I hope I’m half as amazing at being a mother as she is if and when I get the chance!
This one-pan dinner is created in the spirit of breakfast for dinner, but feel free to turn it on its head and have it for breakfast. Whoa, crazy, I know!A one pan meal for any time of day! Sweet Potato Egg Skillet w/Spinach & Mushrooms http://bit.ly/2fbVRa3 @80twentyrule #gf #vegetarian Click To Tweet
My Sweet Potato Egg Skillet is packed with ingredients that offer a variety of health benefits, from fighting free radicals to boosting heart and eye health.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant that protects healthy cells from damage from the environment and aging.
- The body converts beta carotene into vitamin A. Just half of a medium sweet potato provides all the vitamin A you need in a day. Vitamin A helps keep your immune system strong and your eyes healthy. The richer the colour of your sweet potato, the more vitamin A it contains!
- Just half a medium sweet potato provides all of the vitamin A you need in a day. Vitamin A is needed for a strong immune system.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that promotes a healthy heart and lowers inflammation. You need healthy fats in your diet to absorb nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E and K. Having healthy fats in this recipe helps you get more beta carotene out of the sweet potato! #synergy
Health Benefits of Eggs
- A large egg has 6 grams of muscle-building protein. Protein also helps prevent muscle loss and boosts healing and is needed for a strong immune system.
- Eggs contain a special nutrient called choline that is needed for the brain to be able to send messages to your muscles.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
- Mushrooms are a good source of the mineral selenium. Studies have shown that selenium may help lower prostate cancer risk. A long-term study found that men with the highest selenium levels were 48 percent less likely to develop advanced prostate cancer than men with the lowest levels. Some smaller studies have found a link between eating foods rich in selenium and lower risk of colon and stomach cancer.
Sweet Potato and Egg Skillet with Spinach and Mushrooms
Enjoy this delicious meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You make the rules!