Rice Krispie treats are one of my favorite childhood snacks. Love the gooey crunchy texture and sweetness… but now that I know better, not loving all of the sugar and other refined carbohydrates. That’s why I revamped this comfort food classic to create my Puffed Quinoa Peanut Butter Squares with Chocolate Chips. They feature whole grains, natural sweetener and contain some healthy fats and protein to keep blood sugar levels stable. Now here’s a snack kids of all ages will love!
This yummy recipe has no refined sugar because it’s sweetened with the goodness of dates. That means natural sweetness packaged with fiber for a healthy digestive system and iron to help your red blood cells carry oxygen around your body. All good things!
These healthier rice krispie squares are also technically no-bake, although you do need to create the date syrup on the stovetop. If you’d rather use some maple syrup or honey, that would work too (although kids under 2 shouldn’t have unpasteurized honey… and that will mean the recipe isn’t vegan).Healthier Rice Krispie treats you'll love! No refined sugar, #vegan, #glutenfree & whole grain Click To Tweet
I’m also seriously obsessed with adding chocolate chips to recipes because a little goes a long way. Adding in a sprinkle of them really helps with my chocolate cravings! Look for vegan chocolate chips or get some dark chocolate chips for extra antioxidant power.
Puffed Quinoa Peanut Butter Squares with Chocolate Chips and Shredded Coconut
A Healthy Rice Krispie Treats Alternative!
Serve with some cold vanilla almond milk for a delicious and nourishing after-school snack or evening treat.
This recipe has been added to your Meal Plan
|9 squares||6 minutes|
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter smooth
- 4 cups puffed quinoa
- 1/2 cup dates pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Add the peanut butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Put the dates and water in your food processor or a good blender. Pulse until combined. Add the date mixture to your saucepan.
- Put the quinoa in a large ceramic or glass bowl. Mix in the contents of your saucepan. Stir in the chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Pack your quinoa mixture evenly into the pan and put the pan in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to set.
- Take the bars out of the fridge and using a sharp knife, cut into 9 squares (3x3). Wrap or keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days (if they last that long!) Enjoy.
Leave a Reply