These No-Bake Lentil Energy Bars are vegan and gluten-free. They’re so delicious and packed full of vegetarian protein and fibre from lovely lentils.
The United Nations has declared 2016 the International Year of Pulses!
Why? Because pulses such as lentils are sustainable, healthy, affordable and incredibly versatile. A fibre-rich, plant-based diet that includes lentils and other pulses is linked to a lower risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some types of cancer. All great reasons to enjoy these small but mighty pulses!
This recipe has been added to your Meal Plan
|32 bars||10 minutes|
- 1 cup brown lentils (cooked or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup almond butter or peanut butter, natural, unsalted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dried cranberries, unsweetened
- semi-sweet chocolate chips (vegan or dairy-free if desired)
- chia seeds
- coconut chips
- Add the lentils and dates to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the nut butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined.
- Add half of the toppings and mix until just combined.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and pour in the energy bar mixture. Distribute it evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining toppings over the bars. Cover with another layer of parchment paper and press down to make sure the toppings stick.
- Place the bars in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Slice into 32 bars (8x4 bars) and store in the fridge. Try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Canadian Lentils and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Leave a Reply