Looking to take your lentils to the next level? Bet you didn’t know you could pop them! This recipe is a super easy way to make one of the healthiest foods out there taste even better. Make these Crunchy Popped Lentils on the stovetop as part of your meal prep routine and you’ll always have a plant-based protein to add to your meals and snacks.
That’s what I love about these crunchy popped lentils – they’re super versatile. They make a great protein and fiber-packed snack on their own or in a trail mix or snack mix. My favorite way to eat them is as a crispy crunchy salad topper.
The best flavor and texture combination I’ve discovered so far is topping my Vegan Shawarma Salad Plate with these popped lentils. You gotta try it!
Health Benefits of Lentils
- Diets high in lentils and other fiber-rich foods are linked to a lower risk of colorectal cancer and are recommended for cancer survivors. Lentils are very high in fibre, with a ¾ cup serving providing 12 grams of fiber. That’s half the daily amount for women and a third of the daily amount for men.
- Lentils are an excellent source of a B vitamin called folate. Folate helps form red blood cells and is plays a key role in healthy nerve function. It may also lower the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
- Manganese is another nutrient that lentils are rich in. This mineral that helps your body absorb calcium and stabilizes blood sugar levels. Manganese is part of an antioxidant complex called superoxide dismutase (SOD). This compound protects healthy cells from free radical damage, helping prevent heart disease and cancer.
Crunchy Popped Lentils
You won’t believe how addictive these crispy lentils are! Give them a try and you won’t want your lentils any other way!
Other Delicious Lentil Recipes You’ll Love
Freekeh Soup with French Lentils and Kale
No Bake Lentil Energy Bars
Pesto Prosciutto Salmon with Lentil Almond Pilaf
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|20 minutes||15 minutes|
These crispy crunchy popped lentils are the perfect protein and fiber-packed snack! They're a fantastic topping for salads and make an unexpected addition to trail mix.
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the lentils in a colander. Add them to a medium pot with 3 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain the lentils in your colander and rinse with cold water.
- Heat half of the avocado oil over high heat in a large frying pan. Add 1 cup of the lentils and spread them across the pan so they don't overlap. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Stir the lentils frequently until they become crispy and golden brown. Put them on a plate to cool. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and "pop" the rest of the lentils, 1 cup at a time.
Leave a Reply