Toasty warm and nutritious comfort food? Check! Try this Roasted Cauliflower Celery Root Soup with Chickpeas and Turmeric is vegan and gluten-free. Roasting the cauliflower and celery root develops rich flavor you’ll love. It features the ugliest vegetable you’ll ever see… celeriac or celery root!
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is so hot right now! I’ve written about the golden spice for the Huffington Post and have been interviewed about it for Canadian Living and others. Turmeric appears to have health benefits for the brain and preventing Alzheimer’s disease, for arthritis and cancer.
- Turmeric may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Based on preliminary research, curcumin, the antioxidant-rich compound in turmeric, may prevent the formation of plaques in the brain. It also appears to lower cholesterol, a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Turmeric may help lessen pain and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. A randomized control trial comparing curcumin to a common arthritis medication found that curcumin worked just as well for lowering swelling and morning stiffness.
- Research on turmeric as a possible addition to chemotherapy treatments is underway. In animal studies, curcumin was shown to stop tumour growth in head and neck cancers, breast, liver, colon and prostate cancers. Looking forward to seeing more research on turmeric and cancer!
Health Benefits of Celery Root/Celeriac
Celery root may be ugly but don’t let that deter you. This underappreciated root is packed with nutrients!
- Celery root contains phthalides, a type of phytochemical (naturally occurring plant chemical) which relaxes the tiny muscles in the walls of arteries, helping to increase blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- Celery root is rich in fibre and is an excellent source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps strengthen the immune system.
- Celery root is an excellent source of vitamin B6. This vitamin is needed to keep your immune system working well to fight off illness and infection. It is also needed for nerve and muscle function and healthy red blood cells. Vitamin B6 may also help prevent colorectal and stomach cancers.
Cauliflower Celery Root Soup with Chickpeas and Turmeric – Vegan and Gluten-Free!
Get ready to enjoy your new comfy warm soup. You’ve turned your ugly celery root into a beautiful swan!