This incredibly delicious Korean-inspired beef short-rib recipe will knock your socks off with flavour! It’s from Canada Beef’s Roundup App, which includes tons of other tasty recipes for various cuts of beef. Check out my post on my experience with the app for an idea of some of its features.
I can never stick to a recipe precisely, so I upped the nutrition ante with a couple of small tweaks. I used brown rice instead of white rice and arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce as a substitute for corn starch.
This recipe can be gluten-free if you use tamari rather than soy sauce. If you are following a paleo, primal or low carb plan, omit the rice. Everybody’s happy!
It’s not an overstatement to say this is one of the most amazing meals I’ve ever cooked. The meat literally melts in your mouth.
If I can do it, you can too!
Bulgogi-Style Braised Beef with Baby Bok Choy
- 3 lb beef simmering short ribs (or beef shank for a lower fat option)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 3 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Green onions coarsley chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups brown rice dry
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 5 baby Bok choy sliced lengthwise
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds