This Thai shrimp soup with coconut milk and lemongrass is gluten free, dairy free, low carb and paleo. It’s packed with lean protein thanks to the shrimp and loaded with vegetables.
Eating soup counts as meditation in my world.
I’m a firm believer that a good soup can warm the soul. There’s nothing quite like having a hearty bowl of soup while tucked away on a wet or rainy day.
Soup can be a great way to pack more veggies in your diet – just watch out for the sodium content! The best way to avoid high sodium soup is to make your stock at home and use ingredients with little or no added sodium.
This Thai shrimp soup is great for anyone who loves the fresh taste of lemongrass, creamy coconut milk and juicy shrimp, but can’t handle the heat of spice traditionally found in Thai dishes. This dish is also a great way to use up leftover vegetables. I added in broccoli stems, but you could easily use whatever is in your fridge. The FDA has set a goal of reducing food waste by 50% by 2030. You gotta use what you have in your fridge (and here are more tips for reducing food waste and saving money on fruits and vegetables).
What’s your favourite soup recipe and when do you make it? Comment down below!
Thai Shrimp Soup with Lemongrass
This Thai shrimp soup is gluten free, dairy free, low carb and paleo. It’s great for anyone who loves the fresh taste of lemongrass, creamy coconut milk and juicy shrimp, but can’t handle the spice traditionally found in Thai dishes. Still want it hot? Add in a little chili oil or red chili flakes to bump up the heat!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (virgin)
- 1 onion (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 1 sweet potato (large, peeled and chopped)
- stalk lemongrass (tough outer leaves removed, thinly minced)
- 1 1/2 cups Oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli (chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 litre chicken broth (no sodium added or homemade)
- 1/4 cup Light coconut milk
- 1 cup sweet pea spring mix (or leafy greens of your choice)
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined )
- 1 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- Place a large pan or stockpot on medium heat. Add the coconut oil, swirling to coat the pan. Add in the onions, sweet potatoes and lemongrass. Cook for about 7-10 minutes, or until the onions start to become translucent and golden brown.
- Add in the mushrooms, broccoli, carrots and oyster mushrooms. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until the carrots and broccoli are tender-crisp.
- Pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the spring mix and the shrimp, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until light pink in colour.
- Stir in half of the parsley, bringing the soup back to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with brown rice or a side salad. Garnish with additional parsley as desired.
Thank you to my nutrition student, Jennifer Chang, for sharing this amazing recipe and photos!